A Productive Practicum

By Kate Gulbrand
September 15, 2014

KateA few weeks back, I wrote a brief post about where I was with my practicum. Well, now I’m finished and I have had a few days to step back and look at what I was able to accomplish in seven weeks. In all honesty, I completed more than either I or my supervisor thought I would be able to complete in such a short amount of time.

I developed a stress training program and guidebook that delves into childhood and adolescent stress, what effects trauma and abuse can have on children, and how trauma can affect their stress and anger. Going forward, the program I developed is going to be the basic training for all incoming staff of the CPA. Branching from this program, I also developed a policy on staff stress mitigation and reduction that is being presented to the Board of the CPA for approval or revision in the next few weeks.

I also had the opportunity to examine and improve upon an existing sex education program for the residential staff. Its focus was more on how to talk about sexual health and development with children of any age while also providing accurate, clear information. These programs I presented to the residential staff, I interviewed clients/residents about their stress, attended staff meetings and spoke with staff to learn what internal stressors their might be to influence my policy.

I feel I was able to make a positive impact in Grenada or at least with the CPA. And that is really what I wanted to get out of my practicum. I knew whatever practicum I did would provide me with educational reinforcement and competency building, but I wanted it to be more than that. I wanted to actually, firsthand, make an almost visible positive impact. I wanted to give back to Grenada, my home for the past year and year to come. I think I was able to do that. I’m very proud of my work and know that this is a great building block for me.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
This entry was posted in Public Health. Bookmark the permalink.