Raising Your Voice for Health Workers

By VKimotho
September 26, 2013

I have this recurring thought: If all the essential commodities for health are made available and the supply chains worked and by some significant change of status quo all health facilities were equipped to respond to the needs of the communities they serve, would there be universal access to health care?
I come to the same conclusion every time – universal access to health services will not be achieved without the right health workers with the right competencies working at all levels of the health systems.
I have been very fortunate to have been a chair of the Health Workforce Advocacy Initiative (HWAI), a group of amazing people who believe in the importance of health workers within the health systems in developed and developing countries. I am now part of a secretariat that has been pushing forward this agenda and we will be playing a role at the 3rd Global Forum on Human Resources for Health in November 2013.
As we move into the post-millenium development goals 2015 agenda, should human resources for health be prioritized? I currently believe that MDGs should focus on systemic priorities that will ensure a reduction in deaths and disease saving more lives than disease focused priorities.
I am still on the journey, questioning my belief, and keeping in sight my strong dedication to health in Africa.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
This entry was posted in Public Health. Bookmark the permalink.